May 16, 2016

NOBODY KNEW SHE WAS THERE

My OWW writer friend, Phillip Spencer, who pens the blog "Nightspore", recently linked to a post by British author Freda Warrington (ELFLAND), in which she discusses her desire to create strong female characters when writing fantasy. 

An excerpt:

I wanted to read about mutual pleasure and joy, I wanted the women to have as much fun as the men, I did not want the men to be selfish pigs, I wanted equality and respect and shared adventure. But too often, in fiction, I was not finding it. Not even from female authors.

It's a long post, but well worth reading.

http://www.sarah-ash.com/fantasy-and-science-fiction/1173/guest-blog-for-nobody-knew-she-was-there-by-freda-warrington/


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link. So true that female characters in fantasy should be as strong as the men. I've only read YA fantasy, where the teen girls are definitely strong characters.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving yours.