August 24, 2010

A Few Good Books

While I decide which book(s) to bring on vacation, here are some quick reviews of recent reads:

Clare B. Dunkle – THE HOLLOW KINGDOM
I rarely finish a book and then read it again immediately, but Dunkle totally swept me up in her tale of a goblin king and his reluctant human bride. If you never thought a goblin could entice you, then meet Marak, a roguish, manipulative sovereign who rules a richly imagined underground world. I guarantee you’ll be rooting for him long before the book’s end.

Donald Maass – THE FIRE IN FICTION
Literary agent Maass believes every novel can be inspired and his book offers techniques to fire up yours. Maass offers succinct examples from general fiction, followed by exercises that bring a fresh perspective to any WIP. Highly recommended.

Brian Jacques – REDWALL
Normally, I’m a bit ho-hum about stories with talking animals–although I'm definitely looking forward to Hilary Wagner's Nightshade City in October–but this clever tale of mice defending their abbey against a ruthless rat and his army hooked me with lively characters (good and evil) and a grand adventure.

Won't have a chance to post again until I get back. See you in a few weeks!

8 comments:

  1. THE HOLLOW KINGDOM intrigues me. Just recently I realized the number of goblin books on the shelves. I have to try at least one. :)

    Have a magnificent vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reviews.

    Have a great time away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VR: I liked THK so much I wrote a fan note to the author. It's the first book in a trilogy and I'm hoping the rest are as good.

    Elle: I hardly did the books justice, but hope to pique interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy the Redwall series a lot - the students like them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now it's your turn to go to vacation - Have a fabulous time and I hope all the books you bring are good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jemi: I know there are plenty of sequels to keep me busy.

    Stephanie: Thanks! So far, I've got ALPHABET OF THORNS by Patricia A. McKilip and (maybe) BURY ME STANDING by Isabel Fonseca.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of these. I'll look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathryn, I left something for you on my blog. Come by when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving yours.